Ride Right! Smart Cycling Program
Bike&Walk Montclair offers bicycle education classes designed for novice to intermediate cyclists ranging from Learn to Ride (all ages), Skill Building Rodeos, Street Savvy Classes, Bicycle Commuter Classes and School Assemblies. All classes follow the League of American Bicyclists Smart Cycling guidelines.
Classes are held spring through fall and last about 2 hours. Classes require a properly fitting helmet and a bicycle in good working order.
Dates, Times, and Locations are updated regularly – learn more by clicking the registration button or checking our Events Calendar.
REGISTRATION is required.
- LEARN TO RIDE FOR KIDS, TEENS, AND ADULTS
Basics of balancing, starting, stopping, and steering a bike.
- SKILL BUILDING RIDE RODEO
Scanning, Signaling, turning, maneuvering through obstacles and proper use of gears.
- STREET SAVVY CYCLIST
Build road riding confidence with a short family-friendly road ride. Ride Right: visible, predictable, and courteous.
- TRAFFIC SKILLS 101
Learn to “drive” your bike in traffic. Master street riding and basic maintenance. This is a League of American Bicyclists instructor certification prerequisite.
- BIKE SAFETY ASSEMBLIES
This 30 minute assembly will cover the basics of safe cycling through a fun, interactive presentation and hands-on demonstrations.
Please inquire about customized programs for schools, scouts, and other youth oriented groups.
Contact: Paul Mickiewicz, LCI
Board Member, Education Committee
Guidelines for Safe Biking & Walking
Bike and walk routes are NOT CLOSED to car traffic. Please follow ALL traffic signals, signs, and rules.
- Be visible, predictable, and courteous
- Ride on the right, far enough from the curb to avoid hazards.
- Ride a straight line, stay left of parked cars to avoid an opening door.
- Use hand signals to warn motorists and other riders:
- RIGHT = left arm out and bent up
- LEFT = left arm straight out
- SLOW/STOP = Left arm bent down, palm facing back